is not much that we can do about genetic transmission in
randomly bred animals, but for purposely bred animals, breeders must use
due diligence to prevent inherited disease. Responsible breeders
perform genetic testing of parent breeding stock for breed-susceptible
-Jerold S. Bell DVM
Our breeding dogs are Health Tested for genetic disease.
When looking for a puppy, you should demand to see ALL health certificates.
If you are paying $1500-2500 for a puppy without health testing,
you are asking for multiple costly vet visits down the road or early death.
A yearly visit to a veterinarian does not screen your puppy's parents for genetic disease.
This is not good enough to produce HEALTHY puppies.
Your puppy's parents must be x-rayed for hip & elbow displaysia.
They should have their thyroid tested via a blood test.
They should have an EKG or Auscultation done by a cardiologist.
They should have their eyes checked by a canine ophthalmologist.
They should have a DNA test done to check for Degenerative Myelopathy.
If your puppy's breeder is not doing ALL of this at least.... you should not give them a dime.
Say thank you and walk away. There are plenty of Well Bred pets that have
health tested parents. There is no reason for you to "settle" and pay a high price for a poor quality puppy.
Harford County Rabies Clinics:
The Harford County Health Department is sponsoring its annual rabies vaccination clinics for dogs, cats, and ferrets that are at least 3 months old on Sunday, April 29th and Sunday, May 6th, from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. The cost is $8.00 per animal.
Only pets under the control of responsible persons may be brought to the clinic. Dogs should be on a leash. Cats and ferrets should be secured within cages. No animals other than dogs, cats and ferrets will be vaccinated.
The locations are as follows:
Sunday, April 29, 2018, 2-4 p.m.:
– Abingdon Fire Company — 3306 Abingdon Rd., Abingdon, MD 21009
– Harford County Equestrian Center—Parking at 702 N. Tollgate Rd., Bel Air, MD 21014
– Susquehanna Hose Company Division 4—911 Revolution St., Havre de Grace, MD 21078
Sunday, May 6, 2018, 2-4 p.m.:
– Aberdeen Volunteer Fire Dept. – 21 N. Rogers St., Aberdeen, MD 21001
– Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company– 3825 Federal Hill Rd., Jarrettsville, MD 21084
– Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company – 1403 Old Mountain Road South, Joppa, MD 21085
– Darlington Volunteer Fire Company — 2600 Castleton Rd., Darlington, MD 21034
Pet owners are encouraged to download vaccination forms, available online at the health department’s website at www.harfordcountyhealth.com . For more information about the clinics, please call the Health Department at 410-877-2300 or visit the Harford County Health Department website.